Sunday, July 5, 2015

The 36-Hour Day

When my mother was first diagnosed in 2012, a few close friends shared valuable books and resources with me. One of which was The 36-Hour Day, a family guide to caring for people who have Alzheimer's disease, related dementias, and memory loss. When I first got the book, I opened it and started pouring over the pages immediately. I stopped in the first chapter. The personal stories were too much for me to bear. Now, three years later, as the disease has progressed, the words jump off the page.

"Because they are diseases of the mind, you are faced with losing companionship and communication; with the tasks of dressing, feeding, and toileting the person; and with difficult behavior. These diseases last many years ... Many caregivers are doing little more than surviving--just barely hanging on," (Mace & Rabins, p. 320, 2012).

As I consider the next phase in her care, I am hitting some roadblocks as I search for direction and guidance. Some of these roadblocks are societal, regional and situational. And some are internal.

As Mace and Rabins suggest, it is important to get outside help before you have reached the point of being overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment