Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The A Word

I will never forget the feeling of my heart pounding in my chest as I heard the doctor say those terrible words. My brother and I had been trying for years to get some help for our mother; trying to figure out what is wrong; trying to find some answers.

Divorced for thirty years, our mother has lived alone since 1998. We started seeing the hint of some odd behavior and the decline of her functioning ability in 2005. She was always very independent. A single mother, she had to work hard to provide for us.


Mom circa 1987
My brother and I sit with our mother as she picks us up from summer camp in 1987. Our mom worked hard as a single mother to provide for us.



By 2010, we knew something was wrong. She could not keep a job. She would not pay her bills. She was easily upset and had emotional outbursts. I took her to an ice cream shop once. They did not have her favorite flavor. She yelled at the clerk and stomped out of the store.

Her house was in shambles, she could not take care of her home any longer. We asked her, pleaded with her to sell her house and move to an apartment. But the more we asked, the angrier she got. "I will NEVER leave my home," she screamed.

Three years later, in July 2013, my mother was 62 years old. I sat with her in a neurologist's office. He had just given her a verbal cognitive test about dates, basic mathematical ability and simple memory exercises. She was flush with fury and embarrassment. She could not remember the President's name. She did not know what year it was. She stumbled over numbers as she tried to calculate 40 minus 7. It was too uncomfortable to watch. The tension was so thick I was nauseous.

"Alzheimer's disease," the doctor said. It was as if he stuck a knife in my stomach. My mother gasped and stammered. "What good did that do?!" she yelled.

27 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate situation your family is in. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up my grandmother would always tell my brother and I stories every time we saw her. They would range from heroic naval captains to children living day by day making the best of what they have. Whenever she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I feared that we would never get to hear her stories again. Relentless as she was she never stopped telling those stories. Every time she would ask us if we had heard a certain one and then immediately begin telling the story, even though we had heard it a thousand time before, but the joy in her eyes whenever she told it to us made it worth hearing a thousand times over again. I now understand that what my grandma was trying to do was pass on her legacy to us, a legacy of joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this about your grandmother, Cory. I smiled reading your words. What a sweet reminder--legacy.

      Delete
  3. I could relate with this blog a lot, I too come from a home with a single independent mother. Things do get hard but with older age comes things like this, be patient and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your mother is proud knowing you're in college. Patience and understanding are key to so many areas of life.

      Delete
  4. Don't give up anythings! Each of family would have terrible things. As for me, my father and mother often quarrel since I can remember. However, I never be upset and try my best to stop their squabble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. You are correct, every family faces something. It's interesting to read about your calm demeanor amidst your family's storms.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts because you're an excellent writer! I love that you included a throwback photo, too. I'm sorry about your mother's diagnosis. I can't imagine how challenging this has been for your family. Your love for her is very apparent in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When we find out that a family member so close to us gets Alzheimer's, it is hard no matter what. I can see that you will be there for her whenever she needs you and the amount of love you have her for. Cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard so many stories of what others have faced with this. It's scary and very hard--on many levels.

      Delete
  7. You are a great writer! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to reading your blog throughout the semester, you're a very talented writer. I love that you incorporated something that you love, and made it truly about something that has effected you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing such encouraging words, Kendal.

      Delete
  9. Your title caught my attention and I like how you chose to write about a personal topic; I'm sure there are so many people who have gone through similar situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so many are battling this disease--so many families facing this.

      Delete
  10. This is really gonna hit home with me. My grandmother died of Alzheimer's. It's such a terrible disease that so many people are struck with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Vera. Yes, so many people. The rate is so alarming.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear about this but thank you for being brave enough to share such a personal experience. Your writing really conveys your feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words. It has taken a long time (and a class assignment with a deadline) for me to get to the place where I was truly ready to start writing about it.

      Delete
  12. You are a great writer! Alzheimer's is such a tough disease, and I admire you for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a really good read. Sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if i would have been able to tell all like you did but it was really encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is written very well, thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent post. You're an excellent writer. Your personal experience will be one of the best read blogs in class.

    ReplyDelete